- Basic Driving Rules
– Drive on the right hand side of the road
– Obey posted signs and signals
- – If traffic lights are defective, treat an intersection as a four-way stop
– Pass on the left only
– Always use your turn signals before turning/changing lanes
– Drive at a safe speed for the road conditions
- Necessary Documents
– Before driving, always be sure you have your license, vehicle registration, vehicle inspection and certificate of insurance.
- Right of Way
– You never have the right-of way. Someone else must give it to you.
Speed Limits In a city/town 50km/h Gravel highway outside of town 70/80km/h Paved highway outside of town 80/90km/h Freeways Min 60 Max 100km/h Flashing/Rotating Lights Red Emergency Vehicles Amber Service Vehicles Red and Blue Police Vehicles Parking Distance Park within 50cm of the curb or edge of the roadway Park 5m or more from a fire hydrant/driveway or crosswalk Park 10m or more from an intersection of stop sign Stopping 5m or more (in both directions) from a school bus with lights flashing 5m or more from a railway crossing. Buses, minibuses and trucks transporting dangerous substances must stop at railway crossings before proceeding. If following, be prepared to stop behind them.
– When an oncoming vehicle approaches at night, dim your high beams to low beams at 150m
– You may not:
1. Carry a radar warning device or have flashing/rotating lights
2. Reverse on freeways
3. Drive on shoulder of the highway (unless in case of emergency)
4. Braking suddenly without just cause, or squealing tires.
5. Overcrowd the passengers in a vehicle
6. Get in to, out of or hang off of a vehicle in motion